Thursday, 14 January 2016

Oddly Charming Paintings of Brighton


Just as I was thinking I might be getting a little tired of Brighton, along comes something to wake me up again. Cuban artist Alberto Martinez made roots in the city
seven years ago via art school in Trinidad, and was so taken by the place and lifestyle, he suddenly started painting in a whole new style. The result is this amazing collection of surreal Pop Art-style paintings of familiar landmarks and associations, such as day trips to London, that he's made a million times more interesting. "Sometimes I find myself looking at places and buildings as if I'm seeing them for the first time." That might help explain the ice cream, onion and pineapple on top of his Pavilion painting (☝︎), then... 









If you're in Brighton soon, you can see his work on show at the JAG Art Gallery in Madeira Drive, or you can visit Alberto's website, here.  

4 comments:

  1. oh I like those a lot, will definitely have to pop along to the gallery

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Joanne. I hadn't actually heard of it until I researched this post...

      Delete
  2. Wow. Started reading, then stopped, an onion? An ice cream? I'd seen the Aga. Looked again. Wow, really clever and interesting! Love the bright colours too.
    Never visited Brighton but will have to make time to do so. As ever another interesting post Ellie :-) Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know... I like how besotted he must be by Brighton that it made him paint completely differently.

      Delete