Tuesday, 15 March 2016

My Heavenly Cape Town Hangout


I’m fairly fond of flamingoes, so when I heard there was a little restaurant round the corner from our hotel, a practical shrine to the creature, I made sure to be the first one to arrive at
this little local restaurant called Hallelujah on our first night in Cape Town.


I don’t know how much I need to say here to convince you that this quirky hole-in-the-wall Asian nighttime restaurant is an absolute dreamboat, from the flamingo-printed wallpaper, the surfboard on the wall and the dreamy palm tree photography to the low lighting, kitschy Asian wall calendar and cool furniture...




We climbed up onto our stools, ordered a sundowner and knew we’d come to the right place. The idea is you order a few dishes to share so we immediately got stuck into debating what to get, filling in our choices on a little notepad for our waitress to take. 

(They only take reservations for parties of four or more, so if you’re in a two like we were, you grab a seat at the counter out front. These fill up fast though so if you want to make the most of your dinner and its surroundings without having to queue, make sure you arrive as close to opening time of 6.30pm as possible if you can.)


  
He loved the barbecued prawns and steamed buns with coriander and lime dipping sauce.


I ordered the kung po chicken wings. Heaven on a plate. (A technical issue with our camera meant we couldn't take any more photos all night - I know, tragedy! Luckily, I found this on the Hallelujah website. Phew.)


I could have stayed here all night, sampling everything on the menu – there are 10 dishes to choose between ranging from seafood, meat, sides and dessert – but we were stuffed after five. Eventually it was time to say goodnight to our heavenly dinner at our new pink-flamingo paradise hangout and retreat to our cosy hotel to rest up before another day of hunting in Cape Town. Plus, I'd wanted to see that neon sign lit up at night ever since I'd set eyes on it.


You'll find Hallelujah at 11D Kloof Nek Road in the Gardens suburb of Cape Town.

Stay tuned for more posts on our South African adventure coming soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment