Monday, 4 April 2016

The Notting Hill of Brighton


I spotted Montpelier Terrace and all those other plush streets tucked behind Brighton's main shopping road, lined with some of the most stunning architecture in the city, when I
first moved to the city - and envy anyone who moves in. All those dreamy, picture-perfect whitewashed Regency villas, the shuttered windows, copper canopies, Art Deco-style ironwork; this is the Brighton I imagine all those wealthy Victorians came to escape London. I've cycled past so many times, always in a hurry and wishing I could stop for a snoop, so this weekend with spring finally in the air, I decided once and for all to explore.  
































































To follow my route, check my map of Montpelier Terrace and its surrounding treasures... 

All photos taken by me!


Pssst: The Miniature Plant Shop Hiding in a Vintage Clothes Store in Brighton

7 comments:

  1. I love the one with semi-circle canopies...so so beautiful. I wonder how many are still the same grand houses they once were, and how many are now flats? What would a house like that cost?! We have beautiful architecture in Sydney, but truly nothing as lovely as this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS - what scooter do you have??

      Delete
    2. I think honestly most of the properties I snapped are still houses, except those in Powis Square where I spotted the camper van. I think a lot of those are flats. Re the scooter - it's a new addition - a PX125!

      Delete
  2. I love this article, Ellie! I live just down the road from here and I love walking around these streets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're the nicest in Brighton - you're lucky to live close by!

      Delete
  3. Wonderful area. My fave pic is the one showing the Clifton Terrace sign between 2 windows, because it's a great shot of the 'dragging' that these houses are famous for. I learnt this word for the dangling pointed wooden slats from a favourite book: Breakfast in Brighton, by Nigel Richardson. I can't recommend it highly enough! SUCH a magical read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dagging... Wonderful word for those pointy wooden slates. Learnt it from Nigel richardson's GEM of a book, Breakfast in Brighton.

    ReplyDelete