Thursday, 12 May 2016

Beautiful Portuguese Basket Bags


My love-affair with Portugal continues this week... and as I type, somewhere in the little Portuguese village of Castanheira, someone's granny is lovingly hand-weaving these

beautiful Portuguese basket bags – one of which would have followed me on my Portugal adventures (here and here) had I remembered to go back to the shop in Porto I spotted them in to get one! Luckily for me – and you – I’ve just found the exact bags on Etsy and couldn't wait another minute to share them with you.



They're made by a company called Toino Abel, started generations ago by a young man called Nuno Henriques' great grandfather, Antonio (Toino for short), who would deliver them all round Portugal. Today, the small business is run by Nuno’s great aunt with a staff of just six weavers – the same women who have been making these baskets for decades by weaving bunches of fragile reeds into these amazingly sturdy bags, each slightly different to the next. 



They cost from £40 – £65 and come in a range of sizes from small shoulder bags (you can ask for a long leather strap) to beach bags, picnic baskets or bicycles baskets. They’re made to order and specific designs can be requested or you could leave it to fate and see what inspired pattern your lovely Portuguese artisan comes up with. 










See Toino Abel on Etsy here.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I know... I wish I'd bought one now, but really I have 3 baskety bags already... you could look when you visit x

      Delete