Thursday, 22 June 2017

She's Been Sketching Her Road Trips for 20 Years...


You know when you discover an artist whose work really speaks to you? To me, it's like finding a new friend; one that shares similar interests, tastes and aspirations, which is how
you connect with their work. As a fan of road trips, going the extra mile to discover lesser known hidden gems, I would like to adopt Washington-based illustrator Chander O' Leary – who loves off-beat travel and has been recording her road trip travels in sketchbooks for over 20 years – as my new best friend.



"I am the one who will choose the squiggliest line on the map, rather than the Interstate highway, every single time. I am the one who gets excited about driving 200 miles out of my way to see a giant concrete prairie dog. I am the one who will add an extra day to our trip to make sure we have enough time to spend at Wall Drug. I also have a thing for jackalopes, I brake for any coffee-pot-shaped building, and I have a bright yellow hat shaped like cartoon Swiss cheese."


One day that she realised she had “literally hundreds of drawings hidden away, and only a few close friends had ever seen them all.” So she created a space online called Drawn on the Road Again, where you can see her scanned copies of her beautiful watercolour pictures painted in her moleskin notebooks together with thoughtful travel notes, tips and historical anecdotes about the various sites she visits.



In terms of her method, most of Chandler’s drawings are done on-location, from memory or with the aid of her travel snaps. Because that’s the thing – everything she documents is something she’s actually experienced herself.













SaveSave
SaveSave
SaveSave

6 comments:

  1. My fave is the pink elephant car wash! You should start sketching your travels too, Ellie...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha not sure they'd look quite so good! Must be a nice way to relax though

      Delete
  2. Wow love the sketches how beautiful. I always keep a travel diary as it is so nice to read back on the little details that make memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a lovely idea! Bet your travel diary is full of cool sketches, too.

      Delete
  3. Lovely to see these! Thank you! (Hi, Chandler!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too good not to share. Thanks for reading!

      Delete